Gentleman and ladies at this point in time i’d like to admit i have a soft spot for Volibear. there is something about being a massive bear from straight out of the Northern lights/Golden compass clad in the amour straight out of Skyrim that apeals to me. Once you add in the fact that he’s one hell of an insane tanky DPS that can simultaneously tank and carry when fed, he;s easily one of my favorite champs.
I just wish he was viable competitively or even against half descent enemy comps. the fact is that Volibear is a weak character early, being a weak jungler and solo top. I won’t go into the details but when it comes down to it Volibear doesn’t have any sustain. none at all. And a whacky champion that needs to bully through damage to get to grips with opponents, having no sustain really wrecks his solo top, and slows his jungle immensely. A fed volibear is scary, and i’ve gotten ridicilous scores as him when the enemy gives me free kills or lane dominance, but against good opponents that will hardly ever happen… unfortunately.
So Volibear needs a little boost early while simultaneously not completely breaking his late game or gameplay while fed and farmed. His Jungle needs to buffed as well in order to make the first 15-20 minutes bearable (lol).
For this ladies and Gents, i’m introducing the Reworked Rolling thunder.
The Current Rolling thunder.
- Gives a flat MS buff that varies on which direction relative to the enemy you’re moving. (45% and 15% for four seconds)
- Provides a bonus physical damage on hit (that doesn’t scale on anything but improves per lv you put into it)
- more levels provide shorter CD and greater bonus damage
- Bonus damage is physical and proc lifesteal (not sure about crit)
Now the problem here is while rolling thunder is great skill, there is absolutely no reason to lv it. the bonus damage is pitiful at every stage of the game, even early. it loses to both frenzy and roar, both which are multipurpose spells like rolling thunder and gain much more from leveling.
So how do we make Rolling thunder a half descent skill to level, make volibear a better jungle, and a more viable solo top that can absorb counter harass and basically act like the agressive laner he’s meant to be. So first of all we scrap the flat scaleless bonus damage and replace it with this.
Upon activation of rolling thunder Volibear gains a shield for 30/50/70/90/110 plus 0.3 AP health that lasts for up to 4 seconds. If Volibear attacks an enemy while in Rolling thunder he will gain another 30/50/70/110 0.3AP health. these shields can stack.
This in addition to the MS bonuses and the fling. So why would this help? why the shield
- Shields are very powerful early but tend to be weak late game. so this way we buff the early game why making sure he doesn’t become kinda OP late.
- It would buff his early jungle substantially allowing him to have more jungle sustain
- the way the shield is built it promotes aggressive actions. this way Volibear can at least partially block some of the incoming harass as he charges that GP, and another as he flips him.
- that build which riot first showed in the spotlight, you know the AP offtank with rylais and things like that, might become at least partially viable. I would still prefer the meta golem volibear, but that’s no reason why with a third AP scaling ability that AP volibear might be reasonable.
- Gives him some form of survivability in lane.