Now that it’s been a few days since her release and the remake of Jax and the many assorted buffs/nerfs i am now ready to look at what’s happening here in perspective.
Full Patch notes (source)
Listed there. I can’t be bothered to do a copy and paste job for something kind of long.
The two single biggest changes that have occurred have been the remake of Jax and the Sejauni introduction so it’s only right that i go over these first
Sejauni: Riot seems never get a champion balanced first try, but that’s just how it is. Sejauni is plagued by being a CC tank that isn’t on the same level as other CC tanks, is often misbuilt, played incorrectly and above all else tends to lack any real use that others can’t do better.
- The amount of people who have seen Sejauni as “Volibear 2.0” is overwhelming. I see fratmas, atmogs, and other various offtank builds. the problem is that every single one of her abilities scale off AP (and she has 4 damaging abilities so there’s no excuse- and the scaling might look crap on the surface but it’s still fairly powerful combo.) and no natural AS/AD steriods to make you bother to build her as an AD-offtank. I blame the fact that she looks like someone who autoattacks others to deth. there’s something about the mace, the shield, the horned helmet… and oh she’s riding a boar. maybe that’s it.
- Sejauni’s CC is mostly limited to various kinds of slow. Sure that permafrost slow is substantial, but the simple fact is that in most cases you want your CC tank throwing out Curses of the Sad Mummy, Headbutts, Pumells and Taunts not slows in a team fight.
- To this extent Sejauni has her Ultimate Glacial Prison. what… what is this. The way i see it it’s a crap Ashe ulti that has less range, less stun and less utility.It’s worse in everyway, does less damage, has less range, has worse scaling and she’s the tank. It’s even on a far longer CD. Riot if it’s a utility contest between Ashe and Sejauni i’ll take Ashe every time. and that’s even without the fact that she does damage.
- Her passive, suposedly the pivotal point of her play is outperformed substantially by gangplanks in almost every way.
- AP offtank sej does however have the potential to do vast amounts of damage quickly. (people be raging about her having low AP ratios. **** the AP ratios. she has four damaging abilites, all of which scale. the only other that has this is Brand and his AP ratios aren’t good as well. Charge+winds+permafrost and then throw an ulti at them if that doesn’t work. still not good but better. ‘
So on to the fixing.
- The passive really needs a buff. GP gets the same thing but with about 250% of the slow and a dot. and he’s got parrley and stuff while Sej is meant to be THE slow character.
- The ultimate really needs not just a buff but a rework. simply put as it currently is Ashe’s ulti will always outperform the CD, the stun and the range are all in her favour. The best path i reckon is to make it like Grave’s ulti but with Stun. A single target massive nuke/stun and then everyone behind him gets half of the effect in a cone. Seeing as Mumu has his Ultimate lying around in the same category i think this would put her on the same level.
- Perma frost really needs to do something other than slow. There needs to be a debuff that can be used in static team fights. My suggestion is to make it not disimilar from Nunu’s snowball, with a sizeable AS debuff attached. Just a thought.
- Perhaps increase her basic movement speed some she’s a mounted chaser champion she should be treated as such.
Hope they fix her. She just looks so cool i don’t want her to be unviable. Now let’s talk about Jax.
The new Jax is both worse and better than the old one. Some changes were for the better others for the worse. First of all they chucked his passive and gave him one aspect of his tri-section ultimate as his passive. So that immediately tells us
- Jax now gets stacking AS buffs from lv 1 making his jungle a lot more viable
- Jax no longer gets tanky without even trying, making him a squishy unless you actually build tank items
- Old Jax players are building him as they used to and are getting bursted like a boss.
Next they buffed the damage on his Leap strike while drastically reducing the CD on empower. Ironically this makes Jax better at brawling with Empower Autoattack resets, than he was before in that regard, but now he frequently doesn’t have the health to back it up. see the champ spotlight for the reasoning there.
Now Counter strike. Some have been raging over this, but this is easily the best thought out balanced part of the champ. It gives him CC in teamfights, compliments his role as a soak, and makes him a better 1v1. In all honesty the old counter strike was better in protracted fights but the new one allows for some great moments.
Lastly the reworked ultimate. they finally got rid of the random MR giving active, and gave him just what the new Jax needed (not really) More AD and AP. It’s not even a flat amount either, but rather a scaling ultimate that adds MORE AD and AP the MORE AD and AP you already have. Late game seeing buffs ranging into the tripple figures is not uncommon just making going full glasscannon more attractive. In all honesty i love and i hate this ultimate. love it because it makes me kill people. Hate it because i think it should have really have added some defensive aspect to Jax rather than just a steriod.
- Although the current system works well something like Reneketon’s or Nassus’s ult would have been nice- a transformation with increased MR/ARmor or health based off the amount of AP/AD you have.
Overall currently Jax players are struggling to adapt to a champion that really needs tank to be effective with the “but we can do this much damage” idea. Trinity Atmogs has a new disciple.
His Jungle is weak early i found, and he’s highly dependant on blue. his ganks are nice though.
Now onto everyone else (in order of what i thought up)
- A buff a long time in coming. the ability to use burning agony early without killing yourself is great, while the AS scalings make crit mundo a whole lot more viable
- Decreased CD on ultimate makes solo top Mundo very strong sustain if the player can’t capitalise on his early weakness/ can’t dodge cleavers.
- Necessary nerf. Nuff said. Ahri was just a bit too strong in the laning phase
- Graves early game used to be very strong, especially when partnered with CC champs such as alistair. now he’s still very strong but he can’t spam Buckshot quite as much as he used to.
- Us Jarvan players have been quietly waiting for Riot to fix his mana problems for ages. glad to see they finally did it.
- Nunu jungle is slightly more viable now. but then again it was really never unviable just akward without good team coordination
- overall i think it’s a nerf. Rammus jungle was OP though so i don’t want to complain
- She was an hyper solo top capable of massive dmg and AOE stun. Riot didn’t fix her, so even though she’s slower, squisher and not quite so OP, they haven’t changed the AD scaling on ki burst… so it’s still far superior to broken wings and the old laws still hold sway.
- Good to see they brought the Health regen into line with her opponents. that was just cheap.
- Are they nerfing the ZOMG shaco double buff gank at 2.30!! no? well then i’m meh.
- Read my solo top reference to see what i think of skarner. this nerf was not a long time in coming, but it had to come anyway. the slow is no longer so retarded, the mana costs no longer put Moe in the simpsons to shame for cheapness. and his ultimate is no longer quite so spammable.
- Well they nerfed him again. Is it enough? nope. he still stomps. Of all the ones that are annoying here it’s the fury decay timer which gets me the most. holding fury is vital for both junglers moving between camps and solo tops between waves.
- Mocking shout is no longer a “what AD” against AS stacking carries. at least not so much.
- Her ultimate now gives her 30 less MS
- she’s just slower in general. does that stop her? nope.
- The lack of stealth might though. then again the Vayne stealth tumbling and then three hitting your carry (walk through the team) was kinda OP.
- ABOUT ****ing time. they finally gave him an ecape move. after months of being the only brusier in the game with no escape whatsoever, and dying in a fire whenever things went wrong,
- Volibear now gains 15% Movement Speed for the duration. This bonus increases to 45% Movement Speed when moving toward enemy champions.
- So now volibear be viable in ranked play maybe.he’s still not quick, but he’s no longer quite so helpless.
- Frenzy bonus health to damage ratio reduced to 15% from 18%
- They nerfed Frenzy again. well i guess the 5k health trollbear that can one hit your slightly wounded AD carry was beggining to get on people’s nerves.
- Otherwise rolling thunder got a buff and so did magestic roar. overall still a buff.
And that’s it from me. Post comments!